Cream of Roasted Cauliflower Soup with Stilton
With the arrival of cold weather, I find myself very much in the mood for soup, soup, and more soup! Enjoy this thick, creamy, and heart-warming vegetarian recipe. It differs from the usual cauliflower soup because I roast the cauliflower in the oven first to create a nutty or earthy flavor. Heavenly! The Stilton cheese gives it lovely heft and just a bit of pep.
- 1 head cauliflower, broken into medium florets
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 leeks, just the white and light green parts, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 3/4 cup flour
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3 ounces of Stilton cheese, crumbled
- fresh black pepper
- fresh parsley, minced
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Toss the cauliflower florets in the olive oil and salt and spread them on a baking sheet. Cook for 1/2 hour and set aside.
- In a soup pot, sauté the leeks, celery, and onion in the butter over medium-high heat until the onion is soft and translucent.
- Add the cauliflower to the pot.
- Add the flour and stir for 2 minutes.
- Gradually add the vegetable stock and milk, continuing to stir.
- Heat the mixture until you see just the first bubble of a boil.
- Lower the heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In batches, puree the soup in a food processor and then return it to the pot over medium heat.
- Slowly stir in the Stilton.
- Serve with black pepper and parsley.