This beloved vegetarian savory pie is based on a fabulous recipe by Mollie Katzen. I’ve changed it a bit over the years to be a bit creamier. Here I describe how to make one full-sized pie but you can divide the filo sheets and make cupcake-sized tarts instead.
- 12 oz cremini or white mushrooms
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 cup fresh spinach, chopped
- 3 sheets filo dough
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup grated white cheddar cheese
- black pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Remove and discard the ends of the mushroom stems, then quarter the mushrooms.
- Heat the olive oil over medium-high heat in a large skillet or chef’s pan.
- Saute the onion until it’s soft and translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the spinach and stir for a moment, then turn off the heat and let the mixture cool.
- Brush a pie pan with olive oil and then lay a sheet of filo into it. Brush the top of the filo sheet with oil and then lay another. Repeat with the last filo sheet. Pre-bake for 5 minutes and then remove from the oven.
- Mix the yogurt, ricotta, eggs, and 1/2 cup of the grated cheddar in a large bowl. Add a few grinds of black pepper and the sauteed mixture and stir.
- Pour the filling into the pre-baked crust. Top with the remaining grated cheddar.
- Bake 25 minutes.