Silken Asparagus Soup
Here is a lovely soup to delight your taste buds during your post-surgery liquids or puree phase… or any time you’re in the mood for a subtle and elegant treat. No one can ever believe that there is no dairy in this soup. The texture of the asparagus gives it such a silky-smooth feel. This is a vegan favorite, though you can certainly make it with chicken stock if you prefer.
The soup freezes well. This recipe makes about 8 small-tummy servings.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lb mature asparagus, woody stems removed, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 4 cups low-salt vegetable stock
- black pepper and salt
- In a large pot over medium-high heat, saute the onions in the olive oil until they are soft and translucent.
- Add the asparagus and potatoes and stir.
- Add 1 cup of the broth. Reduce heat to medium, cover, and cook for 15 minutes. (Check under the lid every now and then to see if there is still plenty of moisture. Add more stock if needed.)
- In a large food processor, puree the cooked mixture until uniform.
- Return to pot and add remaining broth.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.